Ransomware is now very known to everyone after WannaCry infected many companies.
What is Ransomware:
Ransomware is a kind of malicious software which can locks up your files on your computer, encrypts them and asks for payment to fix that problem. Wanna Decryptor and Wanna Cry is a kind of Ransomware attack which attacks the Windows operating system.
How To Know If I Have Ransomware:
In case if your system is Ransomware infected it will show you a pop-up. That is asking for the payment to recover all your files within three days. And you will see a countdown timer on the left side to keep you on alert.
If the payment is not made within the given period you might be asked for the double payment within 7 days. But again if you failed to make the payment you will lose all your data and files on your computer.
What Causes Ransomware
As per the expert, Wanna Cry is an internet worm and it spread from another computer on the same network which has outdated security software or no security software at all. As per the US media report so for up to 75,000 computer has been infected and some big companies are also reported attacks such as FedEx and Telefonica.
How Can I Protect From Ransomware:
Take the following steps to protect your computer from Ransomware:
- Update your security software like antivirus and malware protection and popup blockers. If you are not using any antivirus program then you must start using one which can protect your computer from malware and virus.
- Turn the smart screen on in the internet explorer browser to identify suspicious websites and links.
- If you are still running Windows XP and Windows Vista on your business or even home computer, it is the time to upgrade it. Because Windows XP and Windows Vista are very much open and less secure for such malicious attacks.
- You should always run Microsoft latest software and update. So you will get all the security updates from the Microsoft to keep your computer secure.
- Ransomware and other malicious software are transferred to another computer through email attachments. So make sure that you do not open any suspicious email do not download any program or application received in the attachment.
- You should always read the reviews of other people for any unknown online services.
- You must back up all your data on the external hard drive which is not connected to the internet, in case of any attack happens you do not lose any of your data.
You can write in the comment box If you have any question.